Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Sifting fact from fiction
For a few of you, this line of argument may be completely new and ridiculous. But for those who try to seek explanation for everything, you may find this acceptable. How true are the things we consider as facts about our history? Historians are under the mercy of the incumbent rulers. Victors have unlimited power in twisting facts and rewriting them to show them in good light.

In the Indian perspective, most of our history is vague and intertwined with religion. Accepting the occurrence of Mahabarath and Ramayan, still doubts persist on the degree of truth in them. Were the Kauravas really the malicious lot? How will historians have treated the pandavas, for polyandry, if they had lost the war? In any story that is passed down generations, people are bound to exaggerate facts and the final product that is present is a really distorted version on truth.

Extending this line of thought to recent events, we can even question the validity of the Pearl Harbor attacks. Did Japan really wrecked havoc or did US use a stray navy plane as a reason to enter the already full blown world war. Also if Pearl Harbour can be made into a dramatic movie, how will the Americans react to a movie that is made on the Hiroshima & Nagasaki bombs. Also US's recent aggression towards these countries is lot because of a whole generation being fed on war gloryfying movies and that explains Bush's continued presence in the office. And also the influence US wields on the world now can be seen from the way the current wars in West Asia are being portrayed to others.

This line of argument finds support in the movie '300' in which the Persian King Xerxes threatens Greek Leonidus that he will erase them from history after the war if they fail to come under his ascendancy.

The current scenario with respect to history writing is more optimistic than in the past. We have various options by which we can pass all that happened with us to our descendants. But they face an Herculean task. They have to sift through all the evidence and reach a judgment about us. Most of them might be tired to do that and just follow the popular opinion of their day.

2 comments:

Nitwick said...

Hi...

This is Sivapriya. I found this article very much in synch with my thought process about myths. Although I'm cynical as to whether I am a theist, I would certainly say for sure that I'm not an atheist!!! From times immemorial, the sense of religion has been kind of dogmatic and not spontaneous. Sad that people seek astrologers in times of distress !!! I wanted to post my thoughts about mysticism in my blog, but they are good in your's. And I have also bookmarked your blog. I'll keep visiting. Your knowledge about stocks fascinate me. I have always wanted to know more about them. I am currently following few stocks to just check out my business bent of mind. Sadly, I am pathetic at it !!!!!

And talking of Lakshmi, she was a 2-yr old baby born with 8 limbs. Last week, a team of doctors releived her from her 'Parasitic Twin' and now she is a normal 2-yr old baby.

Speaking of your comments and criticisms, I am extremely pleased that you were frank. I'll try to refine my grammar on your suggestion.

About Sara, Animax does not show the anime series anymore as of what I know. I am really crazy about Sara and she is my inspiration, motivation and my peace giving friend !!!! I love her !!!! Well, I am never really hooked to animes but this girl is different.

So conclusively, have a nice time doing your MBA !!!


P.S. Your comments in Minesweeper community somehow caught my interest and since then I have been trying to play without flagging the mines !!!There's a reason though ;-) My right click has been troubling me for long so had to resort to your way of playing the game !!! But I'm really pathetic at it as of now !!!

Srinivasan said...

hey...
so we r shooting comments in al directions... lol...
neways nice to c some activity in my almost defunct blog :-)
n hey i cant gt my lazy bum to blog about anything... so leading to euthanasia....
n hey stocks... few things tht took my fancy in my MBA, though i started trading in my engg days....
i wil b really glad to help u out wid any technicals if u need...
n did a bg on sara... seems de original is a 85 jap one... telecast as late as nw in india...
bt as wine... dese things get better
n hey gimme ur yahoo id or gtalk... rather than talking thru comments...
mine is dreambig2win@yahoo.co.in